Measles outbreak in Metro Manila — DOH
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday declared a measles outbreak in the National Capital Region (NCR).
DOH said its Epidemiology Bureau data showed the number of measles cases in NCR or Metro Manila has already reached 196 from January 1 to 19 this year compared to the 20 cases reported in the same period last year.
The agency noted it has recored 3,646 cases of measles in NCR in 2018; and 351 in 2017.
“We are declaring an outbreak as cases have increased in the past weeks and to strengthen surveillance of new cases and alert mothers and caregivers to be more vigilant,” DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
Measles is a “highly contagious respiratory diseases caused by a virus” which can be transferred from one person to another by sneezing, coughing, and close personal contacts, DOH warned.
With this, DOH advised the public, especially mothers, to go to the nearest health facility for early treatment and proper case management of any suspected measles cases. /kga
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.