Close  

Police on social media scare: No kidnappings in Taguig; SM safe

By: - Reporter / @FMOrellanaINQ
/ 10:20 AM February 03, 2019
Police on social media scare: No kidnappings in Taguig; SM safe

Director Guillermo Eleazar, NCRPO chief (Photo by JAM STA ROSA / Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines – The police in Taguig downplayed on Sunday posts circulating on social media claiming that children and women were being kidnapped in the city.

The police said that these posts were “not true” and asserted the public that Taguig remained a “safe city.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“For the information of everyone, no one has so far come forward to officially file a report with the police. Until then, these are all rumors and mere attempts at creating fear among residents of the city, for whatever evil purpose,” it said in a statement.

“Taguig remains a safe city, and your police continue to make sure of that,” it added.

FEATURED STORIES

Taguig police also warned those behind the “rumor-mongering” posts as they may face consequences from their actions.

“Spreading fake news is and will always be wrong, and it will only be a matter of time before you face the consequences for your irresponsible actions,” it said.

It then urged the public to report any incident of kidnapping or anything crime related situation to the police for appropriate actions.

On Wednesday, National Capital Region Police Office chief Director Guillermo Eleazar also warned the public against a message being shared on social media about a supposed bomb threat at SM Supermalls.

He said the message was “obviously too casual and carefree in the face of a very serious and extremely scary threat.”

“This is a replay of a similar hoax meant to sow alarm and panic among the citizens in Metro Manila and done by people who are clearly enemies of the State or by irresponsible pranksters,” Eleazar said. /cbb

READ: NCRPO: SM bomb threat a hoax

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bomb threats, Guillermo Eleazar, hoax, Kidnapping, NCRPO, news, SM Supermalls, Social Media, Taguig
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.