Firecracker victims hit 288; 52 more reported after Jan 1 — DOH
MANILA, Philippines – Fifty-two cases of firecracker-related injuries have been recorded by the Department of Health on the second day of 2019, bringing the total to 288 cases reported from Dec. 21 to Jan. 3.
In its Fireworks-Related Injury Surveillance Report released Thursday, the DOH said 52 people were reported hurt from Jan. 2 to early morning of Jan 3.
Of the number, 27 cases were recorded in National Capital Region; five cases each from Region VI, Region VII, Region III; three each from Region I, Region XII, and Region IV-A, and one case from Region XI.
DOH said total 288 cases this year was 43 percent lower compared to the same period last year and 66 percent lower than the 5-year average.
The health agency noted that 286 of the victims were hurt by firecrackers while two cases were due to “fireworks ingestion.”
Of the victims, 231 were male. Those affected were between the ages of two to 76 years old, with a median age of 16 years old.
The top causes of injuries were the “kwitis” or rocket with 65 cases, followed by luces with 29, Piccolo with 20 cases, PVC cannon or “boga” with 18, and 5-star with 16. /cbb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.