Mark Villar knows but ‘did not complain’ about P75B ‘adjustment’—Diokno
MANILA, Philippines — Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Mark Villar was aware of the P75 billion “adjustment” in the agency for infrastructure projects and did not complain.
Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno said this on Monday, contrary to earlier allegations that the “adjustment” was without the DPWH’s knowledge.
Diokno repeatedly said that the P75 billion was an “adjustment” and not an “insertion” by his office, the Department of budget and Management (DBM), as earlier alleged by House Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr.
As an “architect of the budget,” the DBM chief said he could make such adjustment.
“Mark should not deny that. He knows that because the budget was presented in the Cabinet and as I’ve said, the instruction of the President: If you can’t live with this budget and then you resign. Something to that effect,” he said in an interview over ABS_CBN News Channel’s morning show, “Headstart.”
“Mark did not complain: Oops, I don’t like the P75 billion…The record will show he didn’t complain,” Diokno added.
This issue and Andaya’s allegation that two contractors had been “favored” by the DBM would be the subjects of a House of Representatives probe slated on January 3, 2019 in Naga City.
Diokno had already denied the allegations but the House, nevertheless, plans to summon him in its investigation slated on January 3, 2019 in Naga City.
Asked if it should not be him but Villar who should face the House probe, the DBM chief said: “The award of the contracts, the implementation, that is his responsibility, not mine.” /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.