Kidnapping raps filed vs Karapatan over custody of Sagay massacre child witness
The Sagay City Police have filed kidnapping charges against human rights group Karapatan for taking custody of the 14-year-old witness in the massacre of nine farmers in Sagay City, Negros Occidental.
Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde said on Monday that the group violated the law by taking custody of the minor who is not their relative.
“According to the report of the DO (Directorate for Operations), meron nang fi-nile na kaso na kidnapping doon sa members ng Karapatan doon,” he said in a press briefing.
(According to the report of the DO, kidnapping cases have been filed against members of Karapatan in that area.)
“Hindi tama iyon na kukunin mo iyong bata na hindi mo kaano-ano and then suppress him and then curtail his liberty for that matter,” he said.
(It’s not right that you take custody of a child who is not your relative and then you will suppress him and curtail his liberty for that matter.)
Chief Supt. John Bulalacao, director of the PNP in Western Visayas, said the police filed the charges last week at the request of the minor’s father.
The minor is being considered as the key witness in the killing of nine sugarcane workers in Sagay City on October 20.
The PNP has earlier filed multiple murder cases against suspects who recruited the nine farmers to join the National Federation of Sugar Workers (NFSW).
The police earlier said that the group is a legal front of the New People’s Army. The NFSW has denied this claim. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.