Negros farmers’ massacre a ploy to discredit gov’t – Albayalde
Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde on Monday denied that the police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) are involved in the massacre of nine sugarcane farmers in Sagay City, Negros Occidental.
He said this after former Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares accused the administration and the military of being the possible perpetrators of the shooting incident.
Albayalde, however, said the killing could be a mere effort to discredit the government.
“When they do these atrocities, pwede kasi nilang ipasa sa [government] na naman. Like what’s happening, sinisisi na naman iyan sa AFP at PNP,” he said in a press briefing.
(When they do these atrocities, they can pass the blame to the government. Like what’s happening, they are pinning the blame again on the AFP and the PNP.)
Albayalde said it is unlikely for the government troops to commit the massacre, citing doubts on what they could gain from killing the farmers.
Colmenares, meanwhile, said that Brig. Gen Eliezer Losañes, commander of the 303 Infantry Brigade, previously accused farmers working under the land cultivation system in Negros Occidental as members of the New People’s Army (NPA).
“This is part of a plan na pwedeng isisi sa government forces iyan. Wag po tayong basta-basta maniwala na iyan ay kagagawan ng Armed Forces of the Philippines (This is part of the plan that can be attributed to government forces. Let us not believe that the Armed Forces of the Philippines is behind this),” Albayalde said.
The PNP is eyeing the possible involvement of the NPA and land dispute as possible motives of the massacre. /ee/ac
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.