Close  

PNP spox says COC filing still peaceful despite some shooting incidents

/ 12:55 PM October 16, 2018
PNP Spokesperson Sr. Supt. Benigno Durana. INQUIRER.net file photo

PNP Spokesperson Chief Supt. Benigno Durana Jr. INQUIRER.net file photo

Despite reports of shooting incidents, the filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) have remained peaceful, Philippine National Police (PNP) Spokesperson C/Supt. Benigno Durana Jr said.

“So far, during the past days, wala pa naman tayong nakitang untoward incidents although may mga shooting incidents tayo na nakikita (we have not seen any untowards incidents although there were shooting incidents), I think two or three,” Durana told Radyo Inquirer in an interview on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Based on our review of all the reports coming in from police offices all over the country, generally napaka-peaceful naman (it’s peaceful).  In terms of any untoward incident in relation to the filing of certificate of candidacy, wala po tayong nakita (we have not seen any),” he added.

The filing of COCs was opened by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on October 11, and will run until October 17.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Comelec moves filing of COCs to Oct. 11-17

Historically, violence has been a part of every Philippine election. In November 2009, more than 50 individuals — including women and media persons — were killed after assailants fired at a convoy about to deliver the COC of a local politician in Maguindanao.

On Monday, PNP Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde said that they have possible election-hotspot areas, adding that they have measures to control election-related violence as the campaign season for the 2019 midterm election nears.

“Even before the PNP is officially deputized by the Comelec to assume election duties for the upcoming May 2019 midterm elections, we already made concrete initiatives to proactively respond to the policy direction set by President Rodrigo Duterte,” he explained.

He said that according to their data, 82 gun-for-hire syndicate members and 47 members of private armed groups (PAGs) have been killed since August 2018.  At least 35 firearms were confiscated from gun-for-hire groups, and 19 different firearms from PAGs.

“Focused intelligence operations are now being directed against 77 active PAGs, with 2,071 members believed armed with an estimated 1,582 firearms.  A large majority of these active PAGs operate in the ARMM,” Albayalde said.

“We are also monitoring activities of 217 other groups that have the potential of being utilized as PAGs by some politicians,” he added. /je

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: PNP lists Abra, Masbate as ‘perennial’ election hotspots

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Certificate of Candidacy, Phil‎ippine National Police, Philippine news updates, PNP‎, Spokesperson C/Supt. Benigno Durana
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Actor Miko Palanca passes away at 41

December 10, 2019 08:58 AM

entertainment

U2 now in Manila for December 11 concert

December 10, 2019 08:54 AM

newsinfo

6-month extension of Angkas pilot run pushed

December 10, 2019 08:25 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.