Closure of Estrella-Pantaleon bridge deferred to January 2019
The scheduled closure of the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge (Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge) has been moved to early next year.
In a letter submitted on Tuesday to the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA), the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said the postponement was due to “public clamor.”
“Due to public clamor and apprehension of the business circle that the timing and closure will cause possible huge economic loss specially this coming holiday season, we are constrained to defer the implementation of the project and decided to proceed by 1st week of January 2019,” the letter read.
“We sincerely apologize for the sudden change in plan in view of the afore-cited reason, which we deemed appropriate to avert negative impact to the forthcoming yuletide events,” it added.
The bridge connecting the cities of Makati and Mandaluyong was closed last Sunday and was set to be demolished. It will be replaced by a four-lane span.
MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said the construction of the new bridge might take seven months but DPWH Director Virgilio Castillo said the bridge closure might take 30 months.
The Estrella-Panteleon bridge was reportedly opened by the Makati Public Safety Department (MAPSA) at around 9:30 p.m., Monday, but the MMDA was only informed of it at 5 a.m., Tuesday.
Despite the misinformation, MMDA Spokesperson Assistant Secretary Celine Pialago said MAPSA would not be held liable for opening the bridge since construction has not yet started.
“So far literally speaking wala pang construction na nangyayare, it is their discretion. Nagcoordinate naman daw sila sa DPWH. Siguro sa amin mainform lang kami for traffic management sa major thoroughfares and for public advisory,” Pialago told reporters in a text message. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.