Wednesday, November 21, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Crime stude 3rd fatality in S. Kudarat bombing

BLAST SITE Military and police ordnance experts look for bomb fragments at the night market in Isulan’s Barangay Kalawag 3. PHOTO BY JEOFFREY MAITEM

ISULAN, SULTAN KUDARAT—President Rodrigo Duterte vowed justice for the families of victims of a bomb attack that claimed the lives of three people here.

Presidential Special Assistant Christopher “Bong” Go relayed this message to a radio station in Koronadal town as local officials on Thursday expected the President to visit survivors of Tuesday’s powerful bomb, which went off near a row of roadside stores during a festival at Kaliwag 3 village.

ADVERTISEMENT

Go said President Duterte was closely monitoring the progress of the investigation and would make sure that those responsible for the blast would be held accountable.

Isulan Mayor Marites Pallasigue said a man who was critically wounded died from shrapnel wounds in the head and body in General Santos City, making him the third fatality.

FEATURED STORIES

Welmark John Lapidez, 25, a resident of nearby Bagumbayan town, and a criminology student at Sultan Kudarat State University, died at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Pallasigue said.

36 others wounded

The two other fatalities were Davy Shane Alayon, 7, who died in a hospital, and Lenie Umbrod, 52, who died at the blast site. Thirty-six others were wounded.

Pallasigue apologized for the cancellation of all activities related to the town’s 104th foundation day celebration and the seventh Hamungaya festival.

A Mass for those who died and those who are still in hospitals was offered at 2 p.m. at the town hall grounds.

Supt. Aldrin Gonzales, regional police public information officer, said a task force had been formed to handle the blast investigation.

The blast, which occurred days after Mr. Duterte ordered the military to intensify their offensive against Islamic State-linked Abu Sayyaf Group, was the second to hit Mindanao in a month.

ADVERTISEMENT

The explosive, placed inside a motorbike, went off around 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, police said.

On July 31, 11 people were killed and several others wounded when a van carrying explosives exploded outside a checkpoint in Lamitan City, Basilan province.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: abu sayyaf, Bombing, Crime, Death Toll, IS, ISIS, Isulan, Justice, Local news, Nation, national news, news, Philippine news updates, Regions, Security, Sultan Kudarat, Terrorism
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.