Palace OK with possible martial law extension in Mindanao
Malacañang is open to the possibility of extending martial law in Mindanao after the deadly bombing in Isulan town in Sultan Kudarat that killed two people and injured 36 others.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Palace shared the view of Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea that the martial law in Mindanao is an “option” following the Sultan Kudarat blast.
“It’s an option. We’re trying to make it as easy as possible na walang ano. But kung ganito pa rin ang nangyari, anong gagawin natin? Upo lang tayo diyan [But if this will happen, what shall we do? Are we just going to sit around]?” Medialdea told reporters at the House of Representatives, responding to a question if the extension of martial law is an option following the blast.
Sought for comment, Roque in a text message said, “That’s ES (Executive Secretary) speaking. Same view.”
“We stand by the statement of the Executive Secretary,” he said.
The martial law in Mindanao will end on December 31, 2018 after it was extended by Congress since President Rodrigo Duterte declared it on May 23, 2017.
Mindanao was placed under martial rule after the ISIS-inspired Maute Group attacked the Islamic City of Marawi last year, causing destruction and unrest in the region. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.