Close  
  • share this

Bongbong says Pansol outing pushed him to ask Caguioa out of poll case

/ 04:50 PM August 24, 2018

Supreme Court (SC) Justice Alfredo Caguioa and former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. FILE PHOTOS

Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. said Friday he was initially against requesting Supreme Court (SC) Justice Alfredo Caguioa to inhibit from his electoral protest against Vice President Leni Robredo.

However, he also said, the outing of the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) staff where one of Robredo’s revisors joined was the last straw for him to move against Caguioa.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It is something (motion for inhibition) that had been thought about for a very long time, but I was very hesitant and had always advised against it,” Marcos said in a news forum.

“Kasi marami na talagang nangyari na nakikita namin na Justice Caguioa is not being fair, and has exhibited a clear bias against me and for my opponent,” Marcos also claimed.

FEATURED STORIES

Marcos cited the preliminary conference of previous vice presidential protests of losing candidates against eventual winners that have been scheduled quicker compared to his case, which, he said, took more than a year.

“But sabi ko ‘wag nating gawin ‘yan (filing of motion) kasi respetado natin ang tribunal, respetado natin ang mga justice […] but finally (we filed) with the instances of the Pansol incident,” Marcos explained.

“First of all, having revisors of Robredo going out to party with the PET revisors, the tribunal revisors, is highly improper.  When we asked for an investigation, for an explanation from Justice Caguioa, ang sabi niya tapos na ‘yong imbestigasyon, at naparusahan na ‘yong mga nagkamali,” he said.

Robredo’s counsel, Atty. Romulo Macalintal, has dared PET to release closed circuit television (CCTV) footage of the outing, to prove that Marcos’ camp was fully aware of the outing since they even provided groceries for the excursion.

READ: Macalintal: Marcos revisors also invited in PET staff outing

On August 6, Marcos filed a motion that asked Caguioa to recuse himself from being the ponente of his electoral protest against Robredo.

READ:  Bongbong wants Associate Justice out of his election case

ADVERTISEMENT

However, the SC unanimously denied Marcos’ request.

READ:  Justice Caguioa stays as ponente of VP poll protest

/kga

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bongbong Marcos, Election, Electoral protest, Justice Alfredo Caguioa, Local news, Nation, national news, news, Philippine news updates, Presidential Electoral Tribunal, Vice President Leni Robredo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Suspected drug pusher dead in Laguna

February 19, 2019 11:14 AM

newsinfo

Palace says P10-B Rice Fund won’t be corrupted

February 19, 2019 10:52 AM

entertainment

Liza Soberano says she didn’t get childhood she deserved

February 19, 2019 10:48 AM




© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.