Thursday, September 20, 2018
Close  
  • share this

DOLE: Low turnout of Boracay displaced workers applying for cash aid

By: - Reporter / @JLeonenINQ
/ 11:24 AM June 29, 2018

 

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Despite its temporary closure, only a few of Boracay’s thousands of displaced workers have availed of cash assistance from the government, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said on Friday.

DOLE Secretary Silvestre Bello III blamed the low turnout on the lack of information circulated among the resort island’s workers.

FEATURED STORIES

Out of Boracay’s 19,000 registered workers, Bello disclosed that only around 3,600 have applied for the cash aid package.

Days following Boracay’s closure to tourists, DOLE implemented the Boracay Emergency Employment Program (BEEP) – Adjustment Measures Program (AMP) for the island’s displaced workers.

Under the program, regular employees would get ₱4,200 per month for a period of six months while employees who don’t receive a regular salary would get ₱2,100 per month over a period of three months.

“Only 3,600 affected workers have so far applied for the program,” Bello lamented.

“They should be informed that there is available assistance fund waiting for them, which can help them cope with the temporary closure of Boracay,” Bello added in an interview.

Bello called on the displaced workers to avail of the financial assistance being offered by DOLE.

“We urge all displaced, suspended Boracay workers in the formal sector to avail of the financial assistance provided,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bello said interested applicants may secure and submit their application forms and other requirements to the nearest DOLE regional, field or satellite offices.

President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the resort island’s six-month closure starting April 26 following a recommendation from the Department of Tourism, Department of Environment and Natural Resources, and the Department of Interior and Local Government.

The closure was ordered to allow for rehabilitation efforts on the 1,032-hectare island. President Duterte had earlier described Boracay as a “cesspool.”  /muf

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Boracay, Cash aid, Displaced workers, DOLE
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.