Quantcast
Article Index |Advertise | Mobile | RSS | Wireless | Newsletter | Archive | Corrections | Syndication | Contact us | About Us| Services
 
  Breaking News :    
Advertisement
Property Guide
Inquirer Mobile

INQUIRER ALERT
Get the free INQUIRER newsletter
Enter your email address:

 
Breaking News / Nation Type Size: (+) (-)
You are here: Home > News > Breaking News > Nation

  ARTICLE SERVICES      
     Reprint this article     Print this article  
    Send Feedback  
    Post a comment   Share  

  RELATED STORIES  




imns



Lakas lists down 30 senatorial bets for 2010--spokesman

By Maila Ager
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 11:49:00 01/16/2008

Filed Under: Elections, Politics, Eleksyon 2010

MANILA, Philippines -- Fifteen congressmen, three Cabinet members and two re-electionists are among those in the 30 potential senatorial candidates being considered by the ruling Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats in 2010, its spokesman said on Wednesday.

Except for Parañaque Representative Eduardo Zialcita, Lakas spokesman and legal counsel Raul Lambino did not identify the Cabinet and House members, who have expressed their intentions to run for the Senate in the upcoming elections.

Lambino though named incumbent Senators Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr. and Lito Lapid, former senator Ralph Recto and former Congressman Prospero Pichay as among those being considered in the administration's senatorial line-up.

Recto and Pichay ran but lost in the last May 2007 elections.

"We are studying the names of 30 potential senatorial bets. We started calling them if they are really serious in running so we can give our support and start floating their names," Lambino said over the phone.

"We have to start floating their names to find out who would pick up let's say, after a year," he said.

Lambino said they did not want a repeat of the last elections where they were caught unprepared because they were "so engrossed" with other issues.

"We don't want to experience the same fate in 2007. Our political party was so engrossed in Cha-cha [Charter change] that everybody thought there will no longer be elections," he said.

"That's the reason why none of us had really prepared for the senatorial elections," he pointed out.

But at this point, Lambino said Zialcita was the only one so far who had agreed to float his name in the media.

"Zialcita has already said yes. He was the only one who said yes when I asked him if I can now mention his name in the media," the spokesman said.

"Yung iba, hayaan ko na lang na sila ang magsabi. Tingnan nyo na lang kung sino ang maingay na [As for the others, let them tell you. Just see who among the] Cabinet members [are making a lot of noise]," he said.

Asked if that included Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez, Lambino said no, citing Gonzalez's age and health condition.

Lambino said the long list of Lakas also included governors and private citizens but no one else from show business, except for Revilla and Lapid.



Copyright 2014 INQUIRER.net. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Share

RELATED STORIES:

OTHER STORIES:



  ^ Back to top

© Copyright 2001-2014 INQUIRER.net, An INQUIRER Company

The INQUIRER Network: HOME | NEWS | SPORTS | SHOWBIZ & STYLE | TECHNOLOGY | BUSINESS | OPINION | GLOBAL NATION | Site Map
Services: Advertise | Buy Content | Wireless | Newsletter | Low Graphics | Search / Archive | Article Index | Contact us
The INQUIRER Company: About the Inquirer | User Agreement | Link Policy | Privacy Policy

Advertisement
Megaworld
TAGAYTAY FONTAINE VILLAS
Radio on Inquirer.net
Inquirer VDO