Palace distances from SC ruling on quo warranto case vs Sereno
Updated 3:06 p.m.
Malacañang distanced itself from the decision of embattled Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno to end her indefinite leave as she returned to work at the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque also said the high court’s ruling on the quo warranto petition against Sereno was an “internal matter.”
The Inquirer on Wednesday, citing two court insiders, said at least eight justices had already “decided” to grant the quo warranto petition against the chief magistrate.
Sereno was likely to be unseated on Friday, the report said.
“The decision of Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno to end her indefinite leave and the reported ruling of the quo warranto petition against the Chief Justice are internal matters to the High Court,” Roque said in a statement on Wednesday.
The Palace official said: “The executive recognizes the judicial independence and respects the separation of powers of the three branches of government, including a functioning judiciary.”
Sereno had earlier alleged that Duterte was behind the impeachment and quo warranto cases against her.
The President has denied involvement in these but has urged his party mates in Congress to speed up the impeachment of Sereno. /je/ac
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.