Wednesday, October 17, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Duterte wants courts to keep hands off China telco firm

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 04:30 PM December 19, 2017

President Rodrigo Duterte wants the courts to not intrude on the entry of the third telecommunications provider in the Philippines.

“I do not want the courts to interfere and prolong this process. Do not issue any TROs or injunctions. This is a matter of national interest for the benefit of the public,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a Palace briefing, quoting Duterte.

ADVERTISEMENT

Roque said on Tuesday that Duterte has ordered the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) and the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) to ensure that the third telecommunications player in the Philippines would be up by first quarter of 2018.

“I have instructed the DICT and the NTC to fast-track the entry of the third telecom player to foster competition in the market. I want this implemented during the first quarter of 2018,” Roque said, still quoting Duterte.

FEATURED STORIES

Roque said Mr. Duterte ordered that “the NTC should start putting together the terms of reference for the bidding of all the remaining telco frequencies.”

“I am also instructing all national and regional government agencies and local governments to issue the required permits within seven days upon complete submission of requirements,” Roque quoted Duterte as saying.  “This should also be the case for permits of incumbent telecom players. If the permits are not issued within seven days, the permits are deemed approved.”

Malacañang had earlier announced that Duterte has offered China the privilege of becoming the third telecommunications carrier in the country.

Communications Secretary Martin Andanar has said the Chinese government has chosen China Telecom Corporation Limited to be the third telecom provider in the Philippines.               /kga

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: China Telecoms, President Rodrigo Duterte, Telecommunications
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.