NPA band declares limited ceasefire in quake-hit areas
The New People’s Army in North Eastern Mindanao Region on Monday declared a temporary unilateral ceasefire in Surigao del Norte and quake-hit areas in Agusan del Norte to give way to relief operations.
“This temporary ceasefire in areas covered by NPA Front 16, which started last February 11, 2017 and will end at 11:55 in the evening of February 20, 2017,” the National Democratic Front (NDF) said in a statement.
A strong 6.7-magnitude earthquake hit Surigao last Friday, Feb. 10.
The rebels said they hoped that police and military in Surigao del Norte would reciprocate the their own ceasefire.
In Agusan del Norte, the towns of Cabadbaran, Tubay, Jabonga, and Santiago were declared under unilateral ceasefire.
“This ceasefire is being declared to give the Red fighters of the NPA in Front 16, all government agencies, including the police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and non-government organizations, the opportunity to inspect the areas affected, especially the mountain areas, for damages resulting from the earthquake,” the NDF said.
“Above all, this declaration of ceasefire is to enable the delivery of immediate aid to the masses and for them to be given assistance towards the rehabilitation of their damaged properties and livelihood,” it added.
The NPA said they had been on “active defense posture” since 6 a.m. on Feb. 11 to assess and help the masses in far-flung communities affected by the quake.
Death toll for the powerful quake was at 7, with over a hundred injured. Over a thousand families were affected in Surigao del Norte. CBB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.