Paging whiz kids: Philippine Science High beckons
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine Science High School (PSHS) announced that it is accepting applications for the 2014 National Competitive Examination (NCE), a scholastic aptitude test that is administered yearly across the country to select Grade 6 pupils with a high aptitude for science and math and which qualifies them for enrollment at PSHS next school year.
The test measures scientific ability, quantitative ability, abstract reasoning and verbal aptitude. This year the NCE will be given on Sept. 28. Deadline for application is Aug. 12.
Application forms, which are free, may be downloaded from www.pshs.edu.ph or obtained at any PSHS campus, Department of Science and Technology office or provincial science and technology office.
Sixth-graders from Department of Education-recognized schools who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the NCE:
• Must belong to the upper 10 percent of their batch for school year 2012-13 with no grade below 80 percent. If an applicant does not belong to the upper 10 percent, he or she should have a special aptitude for science and math as evidenced by the report card, with a final grade of at least 85 percent in science and math and 80 percent in all other subjects;
• Must be a Filipino citizen with no pending application to migrate to any country;
• Born on or after June 1, 1999;
• In good health and fit to undergo a rigorous academic program;
• Be of good conduct and behavior; and
• Must not have taken the PSHS NCE previously.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94