Paging whiz kids: Philippine Science High beckons
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine Science High School (PSHS) announced that it is accepting applications for the 2014 National Competitive Examination (NCE), a scholastic aptitude test that is administered yearly across the country to select Grade 6 pupils with a high aptitude for science and math and which qualifies them for enrollment at PSHS next school year.
The test measures scientific ability, quantitative ability, abstract reasoning and verbal aptitude. This year the NCE will be given on Sept. 28. Deadline for application is Aug. 12.
Application forms, which are free, may be downloaded from www.pshs.edu.ph or obtained at any PSHS campus, Department of Science and Technology office or provincial science and technology office.
Sixth-graders from Department of Education-recognized schools who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the NCE:
• Must belong to the upper 10 percent of their batch for school year 2012-13 with no grade below 80 percent. If an applicant does not belong to the upper 10 percent, he or she should have a special aptitude for science and math as evidenced by the report card, with a final grade of at least 85 percent in science and math and 80 percent in all other subjects;
• Must be a Filipino citizen with no pending application to migrate to any country;
• Born on or after June 1, 1999;
• In good health and fit to undergo a rigorous academic program;
• Be of good conduct and behavior; and
• Must not have taken the PSHS NCE previously.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.