Violence erupts in QC area amid demolition plan
MANILA, Philippines—Violence erupted on Monday along Agham Road in Quezon City when informal settlers hurled stones at authorities, who destroyed their barricades against a possible demolition of their houses.
Several gunshots were heard but it remained unclear where the shots came from, a radio report said. Pieces of broken glasses also scattered on the floor.
Non-uniform personnel Hazel Mendito of Quezon City Police District Tactical Operations Center said the residents hurled pillbox at the authorities. Several explosions, she said, have also been recorded.
But as of posting, no one has been reported injured, she said.
Mendito earlier said the rallyists led by urban poor group Kadamay blocked the northbound and southbound lanes of Agham Road a little before 9 a.m.
The number of rallyists previously reported to be about 50, she said, has swelled to around 300.
Gloria Bagasbas of Kadamay-North Triangle also said earlier that they prepared a sack of fish gills and Molotov bombs, which they would use against authorities, who would try to disperse them.