Friday, May 25, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Government, NPA rebels agree on truce

/ 06:17 PM December 20, 2012

INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine government and communist rebels have agreed on a nationwide truce to help restart peace talks to end one of Asia’s longest-running insurgencies.

The Communist Party of the Philippines said it has ordered the New People’s Army to stop attacks on military and police forces starting Thursday. The cease-fire agreement was reached following a meeting of negotiators this week in Holland where rebel leaders live in exile.

The rebels had earlier declared a month-long cease-fire in a southern province ravaged by a typhoon that killed more than 1,000 people. Thursday’s announcement says this has been extended to January 15, and will cover other areas where the guerrillas operate.

ADVERTISEMENT

The negotiators have agreed to meet again early next year. Norway is brokering the talks.

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Armed conflict, Ceasefire, Insurgency, New People's Army, NPA
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
globalnation

PH starts runway repair in Spratlys

May 26, 2018 07:48 AM

lifestyle

Why ‘ligawan’ is so outdated

May 26, 2018 07:45 AM

newsinfo

More senators join calls to suspend excise tax

May 26, 2018 07:30 AM

newsinfo

Duterte may fire another official next week

May 26, 2018 07:27 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.