outbrain
Close  
CAGAYAN FREEPORT

Crushing used cars to take 3 more months

/ 05:16 AM May 29, 2018

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO—It will take until August for more than 800 high-end vehicles smuggled through the Cagayan Economic Zone and Freeport to be destroyed, the free port’s administrator told a business forum here last week.

Raul Lambino, administrator and chief executive officer of the Cagayan Economic Zone Authority (Ceza), said the ceremonial destruction of 14 impounded vehicles on March 18 at Port Irene, which President Rodrigo Duterte witnessed, “was just for starters.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I still have 800 plus vehicles to crush in the next three months and I am not going to be deterred by threats of lawsuits from some of these unscrupulous businessmen, some of whom hold powerful positions in government,” Lambino said when he addressed members of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry recently. He did not name them.

The used luxury vehicles were shipped to Port Irene in 2013 and 2014 but were impounded due to irregularities.

FEATURED STORIES

Quoting the President, Lambino said crushing the imported vehicles “signifies our resolve to restore good governance, preserves our nation’s dignity and safeguards our people’s welfare.” —Tonette Orejas

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cagayan Economic Zone Authority, Ceza, ised cars. Cagayan Economic Zone and Freeport, Raul Lambino
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.