Measles cases in Zamboanga down after massive vaccination
ZAMBOANGA CITY – Health authorities here on Monday said the number of suspected measles cases drastically went down following the mass vaccination conducted in the aftermath of the declaration of an outbreak in February.
Dr. Annie Rose Amar, epidemiologist at the City Health Office, said there were only four cases reported since May 23.
The outbreak status, however, would not yet be lifted despite the downtrend.
“So measles really went down. Still we cannot lift the outbreak because there are still cases. We need to reduce it to zero level before we lift the outbreak status,” Amar said.
The outbreak in February was declared after more than 100 cases of suspected measles had been monitored in various areas of the city. Six children died prior to the declaration.
Dr. Dulce Amor Miravite, officer-in-charge of the City Health Office, said the massive vaccination apparently helped in the reduction of measles cases.
So far, 85 percent of the targeted 121,974 recipients, aged 59 months or younger, had received vaccinations. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.