Faeldon, BOC execs face probe for P6.4-B ‘shabu’
Ombudsman probers have found enough evidence to pursue a full-blown investigation of former Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon and several others over the smuggling of P6.4-billion worth of “shabu” (crystal meth) last May.
But the special fact-finding panel said there was a “lack of basis” to implicate President Rodrigo Duterte’s son, resigned Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, and son-in-law, lawyer Manases Carpio, in the smuggling case.
The case against Faeldon, fellow former mutineer Milo Maestrecampo and the other Bureau of Customs (BOC) officials will now move to the preliminary investigation stage.
Faeldon, now a deputy administrator at the Office of Civil Defense, described the investigators’ findings as “ridiculous” and that he “should be commended and not persecuted.”
He pointed out that he was the one responsible for uncovering and seizing the contraband that went through the Manila International Container Port in May 2017.
“It feels [like] they are persecuting me,” Faeldon said.
Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales ordered the fact-finding investigation on Oct. 13 last year.
The case against Faeldon and company was based on the BOC’s mishandling of the drugs recovered during a May 26, 2017 raid at a Valenzuela City warehouse.
“Evidence suggests that numerous laws and administrative issuances pertaining to the proper search, seizure, handling and controlled delivery of drugs were violated by the public officers,” a statement issued by the Ombudsman press office said. —Vince F. Nonato
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.