MPD: Expect heavy traffic, take alternative routes on Labor Day
The Manila Police District (MPD) warned commuters on Monday for possible influx of labor groups protesters during the observation of Labor Day.
In an advisory, the traffic enforcement unit of the MPD advised the public to expect traffic congestion in Morayta, Mendiola, Department of Labor office, Plaza Miranda, Liwasang Bonifacio, and the United States Embassy, for these where rallies were usually held.
It encouraged the motorists going to Mendiola and the U.S. Embassy to take alternative routes in order to avoid traffic.
The following alternative routes were stated in the MPD’s advisory:
- Vehicles coming from Legarda shall turn right to Bustillos to point of destination
- Vehicles coming from P. Casal shall turn left to Concepcion Aguila to point of destination
- Vehicles utilizing the eastbound lane of Claro M. Recto shall turn left or right to Rizal Avenue to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from the westbound lane of Kalaw intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard shall turn left to M H. Del Pilar to point of destination
- Vehicles intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard shall turn left to Padre Burgos to point of destination.
Despite the suggested rerouting, the traffic unit of the MPD said that there were still no advisory regarding road closure.
“Actual closing and opening of affected roads will be based on actual traffic condition,” it said.
MPD spokesman Supt. Erwin Margarejo announced that the MPD would deploy about 2,000 personnel during the observance of Labor Day.
He said that about 8,000 protesters were expected to join in the rallies. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.