Close  

Duterte to Reds: Ceasefire first before we talk peace

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 02:34 AM April 13, 2018

“Not a single shot fired.”`

President Rodrigo Duterte made this demand to the communist rebels on Friday as he reiterated his willingness to resume the peace talks.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There have to be a ceasefire. Not a single shot fired,” Duterte said during a press briefing upon his arrival at the Davao International Airport from Hong Kong.

The peace talks between the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF)  collapsed in November 2017 after the President signed Proclamation No. 360, formally terminating the talks with the Maoist insurgents.

FEATURED STORIES

The termination came after  armed rebels launched a series of attacks against government troops.

Aside from a ceasefire, the chief executive also demanded the communist guerillas to stop their collection of revolutionary taxes.

The President had earlier said he was giving the government and the NDFP peace panels “a timeline of something [like] two months, 60 days” to return to the negotiating table.

In February, the Duterte administration petitioned a court to declare the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its armed wing, the NPA, as terrorist organizations.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ceasefire, Peace Talks, Philippine news updates, President Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.