13 BIFF gunmen slain in AFP offensive in Maguindanao
COTABATO CITY–At least 13 Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) gunmen were killed in three days of military assault against the alleged Islamic State-linked group in Maguindanao since Monday.
Nine BIFF members also yielded as the military continued to conduct air strikes and artillery fires, in addition to ground assaults in the towns of Shariff Saydona Mustapha, Datu Saudi Ampatuan, Datu Salibo, Mamasapano, and Shariff Aguak since April 9, said Capt. Arvin Encinas, spokesperson of the Army’s 6th Infantry Division.
Encinas said two soldiers were injured in the clashes.
They were checking if BIFF commanders Karialan, Bungos and Abu Toraife were among those killed, Encinas said.
Maj. Gen. Arnel dela Vega, 6th ID commander, said 20 firearms were recovered in the operations while two BIFF camps had been captured.
“Our troops utilized all available air assets, artillery as well as armor assets in support of the ground operations of the different field units,” dela Vega said.
He said the operation against the BIFF would continue.
Encinas said the surrender of the nine BIFF guerrillas was facilitated by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
He also confirmed that over 2,300 individuals had fled the clashes and were being assisted by various local government units./lb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.