Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Sandigan OKs Jinggoy’s motion to travel to US for 1 month

By: - Reporter / @JhoannaBINQ
/ 02:05 PM March 26, 2018

The Sandiganbayan has approved former Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s request for a month-long trip to the United States with his family.

The anti-graft court’s Fifth Division in open court hearing on Monday approved Estrada’s motion to travel from April 30 to May 31 during the resumption of his plunder trial over his alleged involvement in the P10-billion pork barrel scam.

ADVERTISEMENT

Estrada earlier asked the court to allow him to attend a good governance conference, undergo a medical consultation, and go on vacation with his family.

In his motion to travel, Estrada said he had accepted the invitation as speaker for the May 20 meeting of US Pinoys for Good Governance (USP4GG), an organization headed by Filipino-American philanthropist Loida Nicolas-Lewis.

FEATURED STORIES

In the letter attached to the motion, USP4GG president William Dechavez stated that members want to know about “extrajudicial killings, Dengvaxia mess and federalism plan.”

Estrada also said that he would seek consultation with Dr. Christopher Mow, an orthopedic surgeon of Stanford Hospital, for his “recurring shoulder problem.”

Estrada said that the vacation would also be a fulfilment of his promise to his family, especially to Julian, who graduated from OB Montessori last March 17, 2015.

The former lawmaker was released under temporary liberty after posting a P1.33-million bail on September 2017.

His release came after Sandiganbayan ruled that “there was no strong evidence” that Estrada was the “main plunderer” in the alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam.

The Sandiganbayan said that it was businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, tagged as the mastermind of the corruption scheme, who appeared to have the “extensive control” in the scam.

Last year, the court with a different composition of judges denied Estrada’s bail plea for lack of merit. /je

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: approve, Jinggoy Estrada, motion to travel, plunder trial, pork barrel scam, Sandiganbayan, US
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

LOOK: Bianca Gonzalez, JC Intal excited about building new home

September 19, 2018 05:42 PM

entertainment

‘Show must go on:’ Stranded in Europe, orchestra improvises

September 19, 2018 05:38 PM

newsinfo

Illegal beach developments halted in Cambodia

September 19, 2018 05:38 PM

newsinfo

Hanoi opens probe into deadly music festival

September 19, 2018 05:35 PM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.