Kidnappers abandon 4 captives in Zamboanga del Norte
ZAMBOANGA CITY – The military on Monday said four of five men kidnapped in Sirawai, Zamboanga del Norte, were abandoned by their captors and were recovered by residents of Barangay Libucon, also in Sirawai.
Maj. Gen. Roseller Murillo, commander of Task Force Zampelan, said Libucon officials turned over Roger Jung-an, Jomar Maglangit, Jomar Mantangan and Raymond Purisima to the 42nd Infantry Battalion on Monday after seeing them wandering around the village.
“[The victims] were left by their disoriented captors after soldiers and police officers had been relentlessly pursuing them since the abduction last March 3, 2018,” Murillo said.
The men, all residents of Barangay San Vicente, were abducted in Barangay Panabutan – along with a fifth victim, Mario Rosales. The kidnappers, led by Jamilon Wahab had initially demanded P10 million for the liberty of the men, who went to Panabutan to cut trees.
The kidnappers lowered the demand to P15,000 for each men.
However, military and civilian officials rejected the demand and the pursuit operation continued.
In a clash with the kidnappers on March 7, Rosales was killed in the crossfire.
The rescued victims had undergone a medical check-up and were now being debriefed by military and police investigators.
Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., the commander of the Western Mindanao Command, said the release of the remaining victims had not terminated the operation against Jamilon’s group.
“Our troops and our policemen are still tracking the kidnappers as of this report,” Galvez said in a statement. “Let this be a warning to anyone or any group who are planning to engage in any criminal activities. We will fix you and we will eventually get you.” /atm
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.