Bulacan mayor seizes illegal logs
DONYA REMEDIOS TRINIDAD, BULACAN-Two truckloads of illegal logs were seized by Mayor Ronaldo Flores and his men at a checkpoint in Barangay Sapang Bulak here on Friday afternoon (Mar. 9).
Flores said 10 armed men accompanied logs being ferried in five makeshift tricycles, but they fled when the mayor’s team confronted them at 1 p.m.
The mayor said they later discovered two trucks loaded with logs which were abandoned at the roadside. Flores said the team was conducting an inventory of the contraband.
Flores said he did not coordinate his operation with the police and the military, prompting rumors to erupt that he had been killed in an ambush.
Senior Supt. Romeo Caramat Jr., Bulacan police director, said he also received reports of a skirmish involving Flores.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.