Duterte leads wrecking of P61M smuggled luxury cars
President Rodrigo Duterte witnessed the condemnation of smuggled imported luxury cars at the Bureau of Customs (BoC) in Manila on Tuesday.
Road rollers crushed 20 high-end vehicles worth at least P61.6 million, which included brands and models like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Jaguar, and Corvette Stingray.
The condemnation of 10 other luxury vehicles was also done simultaneously in the ports of Cebu and Davao.
Previously, Duterte said that the destruction of luxury cars was meant to send a message to wealthy car enthusiasts who do not pay right import duties.
“You want imported cars? Pay import duties first,” Duterte earlier said.
BoC Commissioner Isidro Lapeña has said that his agency would destroy smuggled luxury cars instead of putting them up for auction. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.