Duterte: ‘Billions?’ Investigate me to stop ‘endless suspicion’
President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday said he is open to an investigation amid reports questioning his wealth.
In his departure speech before going to an official visit to India, Duterte said he wanted to stop the “endless suspicion” about his wealth.
“That is why I want to… Congress to proceed. Mag-imbestiga kayo. As a matter of fact ako ‘yung mismo nag-i-insist para malaman ninyo ‘yung totoo. This endless suspicion. It’s about time that magharapan tayo. Kaya ko binibira lahat. Wala kayong makalkal sa akin,” he said.
(That’s why I want Congress to proceed. Investigate. As a matter of fact, I’m the one insisting for you to know the truth. This endless suspicion. It’s about time that we face it. That’s why I’m hitting back. You can’t dig up anything from me.)
“Billions? Susmaryosep. To my billions, I’m going because I’m late,” he added.
The President’s pronouncement came days after investigative group Vera Files reported that Duterte and his daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, failed to declare as much as P100 million in investments.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque had earlier challenged investigative group VERA Files to prove the authenticity of the bank documents mentioned in its report. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.