Aquino believes Sanofi should be held liable if proven neglectful on Dengvaxia
Former President Benigno Aquino III said on Thursday Dengvaxia’s manufacturer, Sanofi Pasteur, could be held liable if it would be proven that they withheld information regarding the anti-dengue vaccine.
Aquino was asked in a press conference after the joint hearing of the Senate blue ribbon, health and finance committees into the foiled P3.5 billion anti-dengue vaccine first implemented in 2016 during his term, if he thinks Sanofi should be held accountable for the controversy.
“If it can be proven that they withheld information, then yes. Did they withhold information? Parang gusto ko malaman pero hindi ako ang may may kapasidad para i-prove o disprove ‘yun (I think I would like to know, but I don’t have the capacity to prove or disprove that),” he said.
The former chief executive also hinted that his administration acted in good faith when they implemented the program.
“Tignan natin sa aspect ng ethical and religious. Tignan natin if the act was evil and if the intention was evil,” said Aquino when asked if any of his former Cabinet members should be blamed for the fiasco.
(Let’s see in the ethical and religious aspect. Let’s see)
“Dito ba nung nagdesisyon tayo it was evil? To promote the vaccination at that time, was it evil? And if you knew that it was evil and you continued to implement it then the intention was evil,” he added.
The vaccination drive was halted by current Health Secretary Francisco Duque III when Sanofi bared that Dengvaxia could worsen symptoms of the disease for people who had not previously been infected by the virus. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.