Roque: Gov’t cries for solution to provide reliable MRT system | Inquirer News
Close  

Roque: Gov’t cries for solution to provide reliable MRT system

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 02:34 PM November 21, 2017
harry roque

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
INQUIRER FILE PHOTO / JOAN BONDOC

Malacañang on Tuesday assured the riding public that the government is “crying for solution” to provide a “better Metro Rail Transit” services amid the series of technical problems that hit the mass rail system.

“We accept the challenge. We are moving forward and we promise better MRT to our riding public,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a Palace briefing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Following the filing of plunder charges against former officials of the Transportation Department, Roque said the government remains committed to hold liable those who failed to address the problems of the MRT-3.

READ: DOTr sues former Aquino cabinet men for plunder over MRT-3 mess

FEATURED STORIES

“We must stress that the great suffering of the riding public as result of the failure to deliver on the responsibilities of public office, such as the case of the current state of the MRT-3 system, carries consequences and that those accountable will be held liable,” he said.

Roque’s statement came after the Department of Transportation (DOTr) filed on Tuesday a plunder complaint against former Cabinet members during the Aquino administration, including former Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II and Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio “Jun” Abaya, over the alleged anomalous maintenance contract for MRT-3.

“We’re crying for a solution and we’re crying for a quick solution and I’m sure that Secretary Tugade and Usec. Chavez are really taking all the necessary steps,” he said.

Roque said Transportation Secretary Artur Tugade assured him “that they are going to procure a reliable maintenance contractor” and build new rails.

“They’re buying new train cars and new signaling system. They are in other words revamping almost completely the MRT,” he said.

President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier asked apologies to the public for the recent MRT glitches.

Last week, an MRT train car got detached on the northbound section between Ayala and Buendia stations, off-loading at least 130 passengers.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: MRT train detachment probe stumped by ‘messma’ mystery

The incident happened two days after a female passenger’s arm was severed in a freak accident at the Ayala station.

READ: Woman loses right arm in accident at MRT-3 Ayala station

“This is not an excuse actually. We offer no excuse, but apologies maybe to the public for the inconvenience caused,” Duterte said.

Despite the series of MRT glitches and calls for Tugade’s resignation, Malacañang said Tugade remains in his post.

“The President has said he will back up Secretary Tugade in whatever he may need to effect immediate reform of the MRT,” Roque said. /jpv

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abaya, MRT, Palace, Plunder, Roque, Roxas
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.