10 terror suspects killed in Lake Lanao battles | Inquirer News
Close  

10 terror suspects killed in Lake Lanao battles

/ 07:26 AM August 29, 2017
Galvez

Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez (File photo by FRANCES MANGOSING / INQUIRER.net)

MARAWI CITY — Government security forces on Monday killed 10 suspected Islamic State-inspired terrorists who were trying to sneak into the battle zone in Marawi City.

Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., commander of the military’s Western Mindanao Command, told reporters that soldiers were able to intercept pump boats carrying members of the Maute and Abu Sayyaf groups as the terrorists attempted to enter the main battle area through Lake Lanao.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said a firefight erupted and lasted for three hours. Ten terrorists were killed, he said.

“Pursuit operations immediately ensued between forces of the Joint Task Group Lawa and the fleeing terrorists. At 5 a.m., upon searching the area, troops were able to recover five dead bodies of the enemy, one M16 rifle and one motorized pump boat,” he said.

FEATURED STORIES

“One of the pump boats was also seen sinking during the pursuit operation. Patrolling soldiers and policemen are still looking for the dead bodies and sunken boat,” Galvez said.

He said the interception came with help from the local governments.

“The plan of the terrorists was earlier reported to us, that is why it was easier for patrolling special forces, riverine units and maritime policemen to detect and neutralize the movement,” he added.

“Let this be a warning to those who have the intention to escape and to enter—our troops are ready for you. We will definitely get you,” Galvez said.

Since May 23, at least 129 government troops had been killed along with 603 Abu Sayyaf and Maute terrorists in the battle for control of Marawi.

Forty-five civilians have been killed, while more than 1,728 others have been rescued from the battle zone.

Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, spokesperson for the Joint Task Force Marawi and Western Mindanao Command, said troops continued to recover improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnance in the different structures in the war zone.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Carlito Galvez Jr., Marawi siege, Maute group, Mindanao martial law, Western Mindanao Command
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.