Oppositions filed vs confirmation of Mariano as DAR chief
Ten oppositions have been filed against the confirmation of Agrarian Reform Secretary Rafael “Paeng” Mariano, who is set to face the Commission on Appointments (CA) for the first time on Wednesday.
As listed in the notice of meeting by the CA, the oppositions were filed by the following:
- Joint sworn opposition of Noel A. Mallari and others
- Sworn opposition of Manuel O. Gallego Jr.
- Sworn opposition of Ricardo V. Quintos
- Joint sworn opposition of Rodel Mesa and Angelito Bais
- Joint sworn opposition of Roberto Nidera and others
- Resolution of Barangay Sta. Catalina in Tarlac City, Tarlac
- Resolution of Barangay Asturias in Tarlac City, Tarlac
- Resolution of Barangay Motrico in La Paz, Tarlac
- Sworn opposition of Edgar V. Aguas
- Joint sworn opposition of Manolito B. Dagatan and Hernani P. Geronimo
Meanwhile, peasants and fisherfolk from the Caraga Region will hold a vigil at the Senate on Tuesday afternoon, a day before the CA deliberations.
In an advisory sent to Inquirer.net, a vigil was set for 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday to demand for Mariano’s confirmation, whom the group described as “their true leader and voice inside government.”
Before the vigil, at 1:00 p.m., the group will also conduct a dialogue with the Department of Agrarian Reform and the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) to discuss “land problems and government support.” /atm
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.