Aguirre: Students seeking my inhibition in Kian case ‘misinformed’
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II on Monday said the students calling for his inhibition on the case of 17-year old Kian Delos Santos “are misinformed or ignorant of the procedures at the DOJ (Department of Justice).”
Student leaders from various organizations and schools said Aguirre should inhibit from Kian’s case following his biased pronouncements against Kian.
The students said they fear that with Aguirre on the frontline, the case against Kian could be whitewashed.
“These so-called student leaders are misinformed or ignorant of our procedures at the DOJ. I will not even touch that case,” Aguirre said in a text message.
Aguirre pointed out that he has not resolved a single case since he assumed office at the DOJ last year.
“At the moment, the prosecutors at the National Prosecution Service will handle it. Even on appeal, I will not handle the case. The cases on appeal are assigned to my five undersecretaries. They will not be brought to me for any action before filing in court, or their dismissal,” Aguirre explained. JE
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.