outbrain
Close  

‘What media didn’t know right after Kian’s slay’

/ 03:23 AM August 24, 2017

President Rodrigo Duterte AP Photo/Aaron Favila

President Duterte on Thursday hinted that he, too, believed that something was wrong about the “one time big time” drug raid launched by a team of Caloocan City police officers last week that resulted in the death of  17-year-old Kian delos Santos.

In a speech during the inauguration of the first Filipino-owned solar panel factory in Batangas, the President said that, after the killing of Delos Santos, he called up Philippine National Police Chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa to immediately put in jail the policemen involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The media did not know it but right after it happened, I called Bato (and said,) ‘Arrest the guys and place them in jail to wait for inquest.’ That will continue if it’s murder,” Mr. Duterte said.

He added that he also ordered the National Bureau of Investigation to look into the case.

FEATURED STORIES

No to abuses

“Now, let us be clear on this…I said I would protect those who are doing their duty. I never promised to protect those who are supposedly engaged in doing their duty but committing a crime in the process – abuses. That cannot be done,” the President said.

“So, when you make an arrest, it must – you calibrate. If he’s just using a stick or a bat, then you immobilize him. Shoot him in the hand. If he’s using a gun or a bolo or a knife, and you think that your life is in danger, that will justify the policeman to kill you,” he added.

However, the President said the government war against drugs would continue, even if it costs him the presidency.

“Now, you want me to change? No. You want — you’ll — I’ll be destroyed? Yes. I’ll be impeached? Correct. I am not. I can be impeached. If you want, shoot me. But I will not change my policy,” Mr. Duterte said.

“There will be war against drugs because I have to protect—that’s my oath of office—the mass of population… I have that sworn duty to defend the people and protect the Republic,” he added.

That’s really bad

ADVERTISEMENT

Duterte described the drug operation that killed Kian as “really bad.”

“I’m not justifying yung sa Caloocan [incident]. That is really bad. Hindi naman in the performance of duty ‘yon,” Duterte said.

The President reiterated his oft-repeated warning to the police: “What I reminded again the military and the police is that it should be in the performance of duty. That you are not allowed to kill a person who is kneeling down, begging for his life. That is murder.”

“That is murder,” he said.

The President on Monday night said policemen involved in the killing of Delos Santos would rot in jail if proven guilty.

No ‘luto-luto’

“I agree that there should be an investigation. Should the investigation point to liabilities, my warning to all is there will be a prosecution and they have to go to jail. That I can assure you. There will be no luto-luto (whitewash),” he told reporters. Reports from Nestor Corrales, INQUIRER.net and Philip C. Tubeza, Philippine Daily Inquirer/ac

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Kian delos Santos, Media, President Duterte, Ronald dela Rosa, war on drugs
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.