Comelec Chair Bautista: I am a victim of infidelity
Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chair Andres Bautista accused his wife Patricia of infidelity, saying the issue is marred by politics.
“Matagal na po kaming may problema ng aking asawa na ngayon ay nababahiran ng politika,” Bautista said in an interview with dzIQ Radyo Inquirer 990.
This after Patricia met with President Rodrigo Duterte on July 26 and claimed that Bautista had unexplained wealth.
On August 1, she submitted an affidavit to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) claiming that her husband’s “ill-gotten wealth” might have reached “nearly P1 billion.”
The Comelec chair belied his wife’s accusations, saying he was the true victim.
“Hindi totoo ang mga paratang na iyan… Ako ang biktima dito,” (The accusations are not true. I am the victim here) Bautista said.
“Biktima ako ng pagtataksil at ng panggagahasa sa aking sariling pamamahay,” (I am a victim of infidelity and rape at my own home) he continued, using rape to describe the alleged ransacking of his personal belongings at their house
Bautista said his wife “ransacked” his home “10 months ago” to get his documents, passbooks and money among others. He claimed that the documents were altered and used as basis of the allegations of his unexplained wealth.
“Ang mga dokumentong pinagbabasehan ng affidavit ay ninakaw, tapos dinoktor at inimbento,” (The documents used as basis for her affidavit were stolen, altered then invented) said the Comelec chief.
He said he had not seen a copy of the documents Patricia presented to the President.
“Parang itong male rape,” (This is like male rape) he said, referring to the alleged violation of his right to privacy.
“Pag-uwi ko mula sa Estados Unidos ayaw akong papasukin sa aking sariling pamamahay. Nag-post sila ng mga armed goons at sabi hindi daw ako pwede makapasok,” (When I came home from the US, they refused to allow me into my own house. They posted armed goons and said I couldn’t go in) the Comelec chair said, recalling his trip from the US where he observed the presidential election there.
“Pinaghintay ako ng dalawang oras bago makapasok. Pagpasok ko yung aking mga locked na cabinet rinansack at pinagkukuha ang mga cash, passbook,” (They made me wait two hours. And when I got inside, the locked cabinets were ransacked. The cash and passbook were gone) he added.
Bautista said the items taken included things owned by his parents and siblings.
Patricia told reporters earlier that since 2013, she had been wanting to separate with her husband of 17 years. She even filed a case against Bautista due to “economic and emotional sabotage” to her and their children.
But according to Bautista, there was a “third party” involved.
“May third party na involved sa kanyang panig. Matagal na iyan,” (A third party is involved on her side. It’s been that way for a long time) he claimed.
“Kasama ko ang buong pamilya ng Bautisa at ng kanyang pamilya na Cruz-Vasquez sa laban na ito. Ipakikita namin na ito ay kaso ng pangingikil at panggigipit,” (The entire Bautista family and her side of the Cruz-Vasquez family are with me in this fight. We will show that this is a case of extortion and coercion) he added. CBB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.