Tests show Bulacan massacre suspect in crime scene
CAMP GEN. ALEJO SANTOS, BULACAN—The DNA of construction worker, Carmelino Ibañez, was detected in samples of evidence taken from one of five family members who were massacred in their house at a subdivision in the City of San Jose del Monte on June 27.
Ibañez, who is detained at the San Jose del Monte jail, had confessed to stabbing and killing Estrella Carlos, her three children, and her mother, Auring Dizon, in their home at North Ridge Royale Subdivision. He was also accused of raping the two women.
The five victims were found dead by Carlos’ husband, Dexter Sr., a bank security guard.
But the same tests showed no DNA traces of three “persons of interest” questioned by the police.
Rolando Pacinos and Anthony Rose Garcia, who were implicated by Ibañez, were found dead on July 4 and July 8, respectively, their bodies strapped with signs that described them as drug addicts and rapists.
Rosevelt Sorema was shot and killed by armed men who broke into his house in San Jose del Monte on July 5.
A fourth person of interest, Alvin Mabesa, has been missing since June 30.
The forensic report from the Philippine National Police crime laboratory in Camp Crame in Quezon City also said that a knife recovered near Ibañez’s house was used in stabbing Auring and her grandchildren, Ella, 7, and Dexter Jr., 1, according to Senior Supt. Romeo Caramat Jr., Bulacan police director.
The police said they were looking for a second weapon that was used in killing Carlos’ 11-year-old son, Donnie, who had 19 stab wounds. Estrella had 42 stab wounds while Auring was stabbed 35 times. Ella’s body bore 15 stab wounds while Dexter Jr. had five stab wounds.
The PNP crime laboratory examined vaginal and buccal swabs taken from the victims as well as hair strands and fingernail clippings taken on June 28 by forensic investigators of the Bulacan police.
The results were released on Friday, days after Ibañez accused the police of coercing him to confess to the crimes during a televised interview at his jail cell.
Caramat said the results would bolster the five counts of murder and two counts of rape charges filed against Ibañez.
Last week, Gov. Wilhelmino Sy-Alvarado gathered leaders of different motorcycle riding groups in the province to inform them that he would enforce an order prohibiting motorcycle riders from concealing their faces.
Alvarado issued the order on June 5 to help discourage crimes after observing that attacks or killings involving men on motorcycles were often unsolved because the suspects wore face masks.
Caramat said men wearing face masks abducted and killed Pacinos, based on witnesses’ accounts.
Masked men were responsible for the attack on Somera at North Ridge Royale Subdivision in Barangay Sto. Cristo, the same neighborhood where the Carlos family was murdered.
Allan San Pablo, an officer of the Bulacan Scout Riders’ Club, said they would heed the order to help police in their crime prevention efforts. —CARMELA REYES-ESTROPE