Father of Bulacan massacre victims given benefits under WPP
The husband and father of a massacred family in Bulacan has accepted shelter and other benefits under the government’s Witness Protection Program (WPP).
Justice Undersecretary Raymund Mecate said Dexter Carlos was given the benefits under WPP after meeting with Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II.
“We want Mr. Dexter Carlos Sr. to know that the Department of Justice is more than willing to extend any assistance that he may need in getting justice for what was done to his family,” Aguirre said in a statement Thursday.
Carlos, a security guard, found his three children, wife, and mother-in-law lifeless in his home in Bulacan province last month.
The suspect, Carmelino Ibañez, confessed to policemen upon arrest that he “killed them all.”
Ibañez, however, backtracked, saying he was tortured by Philippine National Police (PNP) in order to own up to the crime.
PNP said Ibañez was under the influence of drugs, but was tested negative days later.
Aguirre earlier ordered the National Bureau of Investigation to conduct an independent probe on the massacre.
Aguirre also called on anyone who knows Carlos to get him to contact the justice department.
“We call on [Carlos], or anyone who knows him to communicate with our office on how we can best help him,” he said. “We should help him get the justice he deserves.” Theodore Jason Patrick K. Ortiz, INQUIRER.net trainee/JE /rga