Central Visayas police to probe attempted ‘smuggling’ of P30M cash
CEBU CITY — The Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7) is looking into reports that the P30-million cash stashed in styrofoam boxes seized in Cagayan de Oro City on Sunday evening were intended for Cebu.
“That is under investigation. So far, we have no information about the purpose of bringing the money to Cebu,” said Chief Supt. Noli Taliño, director of PRO-7, in a text message on Monday.
In a report over Radyo Inquirer, personnel of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) held for questioning three men who claimed to be employees of a bank.
The three men, whose identities had not been released by the PCG yet, allegedly carried at least P30 million in cash.
Coast Guard Commander Armand Balilo said police would be determining why three men would lie about delivering P30 million in cash and placing them in styrofoam boxes while telling authorities these boxes contained documents.
The three were reportedly on their way to Cebu.
The Maritime Police in Cagayan de Oro were still conducting an investigation on the three men as of Monday afternoon.
Balilo said they had to be careful especially because terror threats have persisted in the country. SFM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.