Close  

Robbery suspect killed in shootout with QC cops

/ 11:42 PM May 28, 2017

MANILA — A still unidentified robbery suspect was shot dead in a shootout with Quezon City policeman along Quezon Avenue.

ADVERTISEMENT

A report reaching Chief Supt. Guillermo Eleazar, Quezon City Police District director, said the suspect, identified only as alias Carlo, was gunned down by members of the QCPD Station 11 policemen around 11 p.m., Saturday, after he attempted to rob a man along Quezon Avenue, near the corner of Tuayan St., Barangay Tatalon.

Eleazar described the suspect to be of medium-built, around 29 to 35 years old, and  5’6” to 5’9” tall. He had brown complexion with the tattoo “Estella batch 2004” on his right thigh. He remained unidentified on Sunday.

FEATURED STORIES

Prior to the shootout, Supt Christian dela Cruz, station 11 commander, said a man was with his friends on Banawe St., at the corner of Quezon Ave. in Barangay Manresa when Carlo, riding a motorcycle, stopped near them, introduced himself and asked for help, pretending to be lost. Carlo’s targeted victim was typing on his cellphone that time, the police said.

Dela Cruz told the Philippine Daily Inquirer that Carlo suddenly “forced” the man with a cellphone to ride his motorcycle. He then ordered the victim to place his cellphone in the suspect’s bag where his gun was placed.

Carlo was wearing a helmet all throughout, Dela Cruz said.

While traversing Quezon Avenue in front of the Sto. Domingo church, Carlo then  ordered the victim to get off the motorbike or he would kill him.

The victim got off the motorcycle but he grabbed Carlo’s jacket before he could speed away, causing a commotion that prompted Station 11 patrolling officers to respond. The robbery victim was already asking for help that time, Dela Cruz added.

When the police accosted Carlo and the robbery victim, Carlo pulled out his gun and attempted to fire at the cops who then retaliated and wounded Carlo, Dela Cruz said.

Carlo was rushed to the Delos Santos Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dela Cruz said there had been similar cases of kidnap-robberies by motorcycle-riding gunmen.  In other cases, gunmen snatched their victims, telling them they had unpaid debts and brought them someplace far where they were robbed.

The Scene of the Crime Operatives led by Chief Insp. Nellson Sta. Maria recovered Carlo’s Armscor .45-pistol with three live ammunition, seven fired cartridge cases, two cell phones and the motorcycle without aplate number, the police report said.

Eleazar commended the patrolling cops for their vigilance and alertness in responding to the robbery.  SFM

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Chief Supt. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar, Crime, death of a crime suspect, hold up, Kidnapping, law enforcement, police operations, police patrol, police response, Quezon City, Quezon City Police District, robbery, robbery suspects, Shootout, slain robbery suspects, Supt. Christian dela Cruz
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Unlikely triangle

November 16, 2019 12:35 AM

entertainment

Epy’s advice to guys who are ‘torpe’

November 16, 2019 12:30 AM

entertainment

Alec Baldwin’s wife mourns miscarriage

November 16, 2019 12:25 AM

entertainment

Love shines through in GMA Network’s Christmas Station ID

November 16, 2019 12:20 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.