outbrain
Close  

LA to pay $1.5m to parents of black man shot by police

/ 08:13 AM February 09, 2017
A chalk drawing of Ezell Ford, a mentally ill African-American man who was killed by Los Angeles policetwo years ago, is encircled by photos of other black and brown people also killed by police, at an encampment of activists associated with the Black Lives Matter movement, August 12, 2016, outside of City Hall in Los Angeles, California.     The activists, who have already spent 32 days camped outside City Hall to protest police killings of brown and black men and women, plan to remain in the camp until Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck, who activists call the leader of "the most murderous police force in the country" is fired or resigns.  / AFP PHOTO / Robyn BECK

A chalk drawing of Ezell Ford, a mentally ill African-American man who was killed by Los Angeles police two years ago, is encircled by photos of other black and brown people also killed by police, at an encampment of activists associated with the Black Lives Matter movement, Aug. 12, 2016, outside of City Hall in Los Angeles, California. AFP FILE

LOS ANGELES, United States — The city of Los Angeles has agreed to pay $1.5 million to the parents of an unarmed black man whose killing three years ago became a rallying cry against police brutality.

The settlement comes just weeks after authorities decided not to press charges against the two officers involved in Ezell Ford’s killing in August 2014.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ford, 25, whose family said he was mentally challenged, was gunned down by the two officers after they confronted him as he walked near his home in Los Angeles.

The officers said they approached Ford, who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia, because he was acting suspiciously. A scuffle ensued during which, police said, he attempted to grab one officer’s gun.

FEATURED STORIES

A police oversight panel in 2015 concluded that the officers violated department policy as they had shown no valid reason for stopping Ford.

The panel, known as the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners, said however that while one of the two officers was unjustified in opening fire, the second was right to use his weapon when he saw Ford scuffling with his partner.

The notice of settlement in the case was filed in October but the terms of the agreement were not revealed at the time.

Wednesday’s announcement comes less than two months after the Los Angeles City Council announced it had agreed to pay more than $8 million to settle lawsuits related to police shootings of three other unarmed men. CBB

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: black lives, black shooting, Ezell Ford, Los Angeles, news, police brutality, racial discrimination
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.