DOH: 12 cases of firecracker-related injuries in Region XII
KORONADAL CITY—The Department of Health (DOH) in Region 12 has recorded 12 cases of firecracker-related injuries as of Dec. 30.
Jenny Ventura, focal person of DOH-12’s campaign against firecrackers, said 11 of the victims were males.
The monitoring of firecracker-related injuries in the region began on Dec. 21.
She said the Online National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (Oneiss) reported 12 cases of firecracker-related injuries in the provinces of North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and the cities of Cotabato, Kidapawan, Tacurong, Koronadal and General Santos.
Ventura said this number is 76 percent lower compared to the same period last year.
In 2015, Ventura said the regional health office recorded 64 firecracker-related injuries in the region.
Most of the victims this year used “piccolo,” a banned type of firecracker.
Two of the victims were from Sultan Kudarat, one from North Cotabato, five from South Cotabato, three from Saranggani and one from General Santos City.
Ventura said all of the victims were sent home after receiving medical treatment from various hospitals in the region.
She reminded parents to supervise and prevent their children from lighting up firecrackers to save them from harm.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.