MMDA wants metro filmfest extended to Jan. 7 due to public demand
Due to public demand, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will ask theater owners to extend until Jan. 7 the showing of entries to the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF).
According to MMDA general manager Tim Orbos, there have been numerous calls and requests on social media to extend the 42nd MMFF by a few more days.
“We believe that what we did with the MMFF this year may not be recognized now but it will be appreciated by future generations,” Orbos told reporters on Thursday.
“We’re happy that there is a clamor for an extension from the people. We will write a formal letter addressed to theater owners to give consideration,” he said.
The MMFF restructured this year its selection criteria and prioritized excellence in storytelling and creative accomplishments over commercial viability.
Orbos said that reaching 30 percent of last year’s earnings would have been enough for the executive committee but “we’re happy that it’s more than 30 percent.”
The committee had approved a 10-day screening period but due to public demand, “it was incumbent upon us to request additional days,” Orbos said. The festival began on Dec. 25 and was set to end on Jan. 3.
This year’s MMFF entries are “Ang Babae sa Septic Tank 2,” “Die Beautiful,” “Kabisera,” “Oro,” “Saving Sally,” “Seklusyon,” “Sunday Beauty Queen,” and “Vince & Kath & James.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.