Imee Marcos hits ‘yellowish’ critics, Bongbong alarmed by protests
The children of deposed tyrant Ferdinand Marcos have asked for understanding from their family’s loyalists for keeping private the burial of their late father at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNMB).
In her speech after a Mass for the late dictator at the heroes’ cemetery, Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos on Saturday thanked their supporters for going to Manila from Ilocos and took a jab at “noisy, seemingly sick and yellowish” people opposing her father’s interment.
“Finally, nagawa na natin ang hinihiling niya at naging simple, payak at tunay na taimtim ang libing n’ya kahapon (we were able to fulfill his wish and his burial was simple and peaceful),” Imee said, as reported by ABS-CBN News Channel.
“Sana maintindihan ninyo dahil maraming maingay diyan na mukhang may sakit at naninilaw (I hope you understand because there are those who are seemingly sick and yellowish),” she added, alluding to the color of the Liberal Party and associated to the Aquino family, political nemesis of the Marcoses.
Imee’s remarks came after protests erupted in various parts of the country following the secrecy-shrouded burial of his father, even as appeal on the Supreme Court’s ruling was still being readied under court rules. Earlier this month, the high tribunal junked all petitions against President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive to bury Marcos at the heroes’ cemetery as part of his campaign promise, despite strong opposition from martial law victims, rights advocates and the general public.
Marcos’ burial at the LNMB, which saw full military honors including a 21-gun salute, came 30 years after he was toppled in the historic and military-backed Edsa People Power Revolution that ended his two-decade regime, which was marred by human rights abuses and corruption.
Aboard 71 buses and 49 other private vehicles, thousands of Marcos loyalists from the north trooped to the LNMB on Saturday to visit the grave of their revered “Apo Lakay.” Media men and family members of others who were buried at the state-run cemetery were barred by military guards from entering the LNMB.
The dictator’s son and namesake, former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., apologized to their supporters for keeping the burial as a family affair, saying they decided to make it private due to reports of sabotaging the funeral.
“Kami ay magso-sorry nang kaunti dahil hindi namin nai-announce nang mabuti ang paglibing sa aking ama sa Libingan ng mga Bayani (I would apologize slightly for not announcing the burial of my father at the Libingan ng mga Bayani),” Marcos said.
“Marami po kaming balitang nasasagap mga report na dumarating sa amin na ang balak ng iba ay manggulo at ang kinakatakutan namin ay makipagsagupaan ang grupo ng pro-Marcos at ‘yung mga tumututol sa kanyang paglibing sa Libingan ng mga Bayani (We have received many reports that others are planning to create disorder and we were afraid that the pro-Marcos and those who oppose my father’s burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani would clash),” he added.
The defeated vice presidential candidate, who described his late father’s burial rites as “very dignified,” also expressed alarm that protest actions would deliberately cause chaos and inflict harm on others.
“Wala namang problema sana ‘yun pero talagang kitang-kita na sa plano ay gagawa ng gulo at kinakatakutan namin na may masaktan na tao, ayaw namin mangyari (There’s no problem with that but we saw that some intended to cause chaos and we are afraid that people would get hurt, we don’t want that to happen),” he said.
More loyalists are expected to arrive at the LNMB in the coming days, as protesters also vowed to hold more rallies. RAM/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.