Makati cops allegedly extorting from tourists sent to Sulu–Bato
The Makati City policemen President Rodrigo Duterte had castigated for extorting from tourists had been ordered transferred to Jolo, Sulu, Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said on Wednesday.
“I issued an order transferring them to Jolo, Sulu. Hindi ko alam pangalan nila basta may isang chief inspector at apat na PNCO (police noncommissioned officers),” Dela Rosa said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
While in Davao City on Tuesday, the President threatened to order the dismissal of the Makati policemen who had been reportedly found asking for bribe money from tourists.
“I am ordering the police right now, to relieve him, place him under suspension, and initiate summary dismissal. Or if you want, at your convenience, kung sino man itong inspector na ito, you better resign,” Duterte said when he visited his parents’ grave.
The President also warned them: “You better stop or I will stop you. You interpret it whatever way you like.”
Dela Rosa, meanwhile, said the PNP did not tolerate any illegal activities of unscrupulous cops.
“Hindi natin ’yan tinotolerate. It’s very unfortunate ’yung nangyari sa Makati City na sa cell phone ko pa mismo nanggaling ’yung information. Nakapasok sa akin. Finorward ko sa Makati police station,” he said.
When he forwarded the information to the Makati police, Dela Rosa said the city police chief immediately ordered his men to validate the said report.
They found out that a Singaporean national had complained that a retired police major, who was a former security officer in the residential building where the foreigner lived, extorted P350,000 from him.
The Makati policemen denied asking money from the foreigner.
“According naman sa mga pulis natin, in fairness, hindi sila tumanggap at lumalabas na sinabi nung Singaporean na binigay niya ’yung pera sa isang pulis major na retired security officer nung building kung saan siya nago-office at nakatira sa Makati, so hindi pa natin nakuha ’yung police major na nagretire,” he said.
Dela Rosa warned the retired cop to surrender, otherwise police would hunt him down.
“He has to appear and explain his side. Otherwise, ha-hunting-in natin ’yang pulis na ’yan kung ayaw niyang magpakita sa police station, dahil allegedly sa kanya napunta ’yung pera. Siya ’yung nag-transact sa victim na magbayad daw sa pulis,” he said.
But while the Makati policemen are denying their alleged involvement in the extortion incident, according to Dela Rosa: “That remains to be seen until we hear from the retired police major.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.