PNP on full Halloween alert
The Philippine National Police on Tuesday said its forces shall remain on full alert nationwide during the coming long weekend encompassing All Saints Day, from Oct. 29 to Nov. 1.
“We are still on full alert, we did not lower our alert status,” PNP public information chief Senior Supt. Dionardo Carlos said in a text message, recalling that the PNP went on alert after President Duterte placed the country under a state of national emergency due to lawless violence last month.
The proclamation was intended to counter urban terrorism and strengthen the government’s drive against illegal drugs. This followed the deadly night market bombing in Davao City in September and the rising number of people involved in drugs who were being killed by vigilantes.
Security on vacation spots
In a television interview, Carlos said all regional and provincial police offices had been directed by PNP chief Director General Ronald de Rosa to enhance security coverage and police visibility not only in cemeteries but in vacation places such as beaches and other tourist spots, along roads and in transportation terminals, in vital installations and in communities where many residents would be leaving for cemetery visits or vacation.
He said police stations are expected to conduct foot and mobile patrols in convergence areas and vital installations, deploy road safety marshals and set up assistance hubs in bus terminals, airports and seaports in coordination with other government agencies such as the Land Transportation Office and health agencies.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.