outbrain
Close  

DILG chief condemns violence of rally cops

/ 06:18 PM October 21, 2016
Ismael Mike Sueno

Interior Secretary Ismael “Mike” Sueno speaks during a press briefing at Malacañang in August. KING RODRIGUEZ/PPD

Interior Secretary Ismael “Mike” Sueno on Friday strongly condemned the violence the police committed during the dispersal of protesters at the rally in front of the American Embassy, calling on the Philippine National Police to conduct a thorough and transparent probe on the Oct. 19 incident.

“We call for thoroughness and transparency in the PNP’s probe of the events, and we condemn to the highest degree any violation of public safety, of the rights of the protesters,” the head of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In the event that maximum tolerance was not observed and that there was endangerment of human life, the police are to be held fully accountable,” he said.

Sueno described video footages taken at the dispersal as “disturbing,” particularly the video where a PNP vehicle driven by PO3 Franklin Kho was seen running over some of the ralliers when the driver tried to maneuver away from an angry mob armed with sticks and batons.

FEATURED STORIES

WATCH: Police van runs over protesters at anti-US rally

The interior secretary also reminded the police to fulfill their duty to serve and protect the people even if their own lives would be put to risk.

“Remember that the mandate of the police is to serve and protect the people,” Sueno said. “You must hold that mandate sacred even if your own life is at risk. We do not tolerate any human rights abuse and we hope there will be clarity on the matter once the investigation results are in.”

He also echoed the sentiments of PNP chief Dir. Gen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, who said he was saddened and angered by the actions of the Manila Police District (MPD) police at the rally.

Dela Rosa on Thursday ordered National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) head Chief Supt. Oscar Albayalde to place all officers involved under administrative relief to ensure utmost impartiality.

Sueno added that a special investigation task group had been created under MPD director Senior Supt. Joel Coronel while parallel investigations were being conducted by the PNP’s Criminal Investigation and Detection Group and Internal Affairs Service.

He said the PNP was also closely coordinating with the Department of Social Welfare and Development and the Commission on Human Rights in responding to the needs and concerns of the protesters./rga

RELATED STORIES

ADVERTISEMENT

NCRPO chief to rally cops: We may be wrong, but we’re not bad men

Police officer denies deliberately hitting protesters at US Embassy

LIST: Relieved MPD cops for US Embassy rally violent dispersal

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DILG, Franklin Kho, Mike Sueno, NCRPO, Oscar Albayalde, PNP‎, rally dispersal, US Embassy, Violence
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.