NDRRMC: 60,000 families affected by Typhoon ‘Lawin’
Initial assessment from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said that about 60,000 families were affected by Typhoon “Lawin” (international name: Haima).
“Around 13,428 families or 61,126 persons were affected in 118 barangays (villages) in the regions of Ilocos, Cagayan, Central Luzon, Bicol and Cordillera,” the NDRRMC said.
It added that 3,919 families or 15,328 persons were displaced and 3,825 families or 14,895 persons were taking shelter in evacuation centers.
Lawin made landfall in Peñablaca, Cagayan at 11p.m. on Wednesday as a supertyphoon.
The NDRRMC said that it had received reports from the regional DRRM councils that a number of infrastructures had been damaged, trees were uprooted and power lines were toppled.
There were no immediate reports of deaths, it added.
The NDRRMC said a region-wide power outage was reported in the Cordillera Administrative Region.
“Some road networks in CAR, Cagayan and Isabela are impassable due to landslides, and toppled trees and electric posts” it added.
The government is also getting ready for road reconnaissance for initial asssement of the damage brought by the typhoon.
Lawin continued to weaken on Thursday morning, and is expected to leave the Philippine area of responsibility within the day.
NDRRMC spokesperson Mina Marasigan said President Rodrigo Duterte wanted a blow-by-blow update on the effects of the typhoon. IDL/rga
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.