Marcos mausoleum reopens for viewing on Friday | Inquirer News
Close  

Marcos mausoleum reopens for viewing on Friday

By: - Correspondent / @leiadrianoINQ
/ 10:32 AM September 09, 2016

BATAC CITY—The public was allowed on Friday (Sept. 9) to view the remains of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos, barely a month after the family closed the mausoleum where his body had lain since 1993.

Marc Anthony Baldoz, curator of the Marcos Museum, said the mausoleum was reopened in line with the three-day Marcos Fiesta event which will kick-off today to commemorate Marcos’ 99th birth anniversary.

ADVERTISEMENT

The mausoleum was closed on August 8, to allow the family to prepare Marcos remains for burial.

The closure, however, led to a slight decline in tourism, as most of those who visit the museum come to pay homage to the remains of Marcos lying on a refrigerated crypt, Baldoz said.

FEATURED STORIES

For the month of August 2016, 4,018 foreign and local visitors  were recorded to have come to the museum compared to the 4,548 visitors of the same period last year. CDG

READ: Deal: Marcos burial in Ilocos

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ferdinand Marcos, mausoleum, public viewging, remains
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.